Read through the chapter and then go over it again and write out what you notice in your notebook. The first challenge is experimenting with bible journaling. You can use the following to guide you if you wish. If you don’t like drawing, then just write out the words in appropriate sizes or shapes.
- Draw a sketch of the pregnant Hagar and summarize in point form what has happened to her and why she is running away.
- Draw an angel and write out what he tells her.
- Write out what Hagar says about God in verse 13.
- Draw Abram and write out the new name God gave him and what it means (father of a multitude). In a small circle, write out how old Abram is now.
- Draw Sarai and write out the new name God gave her and what it means (princess). In a small circle, write out how old Sarai is now.
- Write the word COVENANT in large letters. If you don’t know what it means, look it up and write out the definition too.
- Write out the two parts of the covenant in verse 7 and 8.
- Write out what the token or sign of the covenant was in verse 11. This was personal commitment that was later replaced by baptism.
Those who will have God to be to them a God must consent and resolve to be to him a people. (MHC)
- Write out the promise God made to Sarah in verse 16.
Challenge #1: Genesis 16 & 17 PDF