Read through the chapter and then go over it again and write out what you notice in your notebook. The first challenge is experimenting with bible journaling. You can use the following to guide you if you wish. If you don’t like drawing, then just write out the words in appropriate sizes or shapes.
- Write out how Jacob liked having two wives from verse 30.
- Write out Leah’s name. Draw Leah’s four babies. (Leave some space to add a few later). Write out what she called them and why.
- It was hard for Rachel to see her sister having children, when year after year, she had none. Write out what Rachel says to Jacob.
Rachel had Jacob’s love, Leah had Jacob’s children…
Envy is grieving at the good of another, than which no sin is more offensive to God, nor more injurious to our neighbour and ourselves. She considered not that it was God that made the difference, and that though, in this single instance her sister was preferred before her, yet in other things she had the advantage. (MHC)
- She gives her maid to Jacob. Write out “Rachel’s maid: Bilhah” and then draw her two babies and what Rachel called them and why.
- The rivalry continued. Now Leah gives her maid to Jacob. Write out “Leah’s made: Zilpah” and then draw her two babies and what Leah called them and why.
- Add three more babies to Leah’s family, and write out what she called them and why.
- Finally Rachel has one. Write out Rachel’s name and draw her baby and what she called him and why.
It is interesting that the names given to these children may give us a bit of insight into Rachel and Leah’s very different characters.
- Write out the bargain Jacob made with Laban for the next seven years.
Probably this custom was commonly used by the shepherds of Canaan, who coveted to have their cattle of this motley colour. Note, It becomes a man to be master of his trade, whatever it is, and to be not only industrious, but ingenious in it, and to be versed in all its lawful arts and mysteries; for what is a man but his trade? (MHC)
- Write out the outcome of Jacob’s hard work from verse 43.
Challenge #1: Genesis 30 PDF