Perhaps you wonder how an ancient book, written by primitive people, can have anything helpful to say to you today. Perhaps you think it will take too long to read and you don’t have the time.
Perhaps you think it looks boring and you don’t like reading anyway. Perhaps you have heard that it is full of contradictions and horrible deeds. Well, all of those are possible excuses, but are they valid ones? If there was a book that told you what to do so that you could truly enjoy life and gave you answers to all of your questions, wouldn’t you be tempted to have a look?
The Bible is much too long to read in one sitting, but it can be read a bit at a time. Here are a five reasons to at least give it a try.
1. One cannot completely reject something one has not read for oneself. It is easy to use other people’s opinions as reasons to avoid the Bible, but they cannot be your reasons until you have weighed the evidence yourself.
2. Although the Bible was written over a period of at least 1000 years it is improbably consistent. This gives it a ring of truth that compels investigating.
3. The Bible has stood the test of time. It has been around for a long, long time, and is still read and enjoyed by people today. For it to be relevant to people over thousands of years, it must be a special book.
4. Whether we like it or not, the Bible has helped to shape our culture and impacted our history. It has been translated into many languages and spread around the world. Many people know something of the Ten Commandments, the Beatitudes, and the seven days of Creation which is the origin of our seven day week. Something this influential must be worth reading.
5. The Bible claims many, many times to be the word of God. Whether or not you believe there is a God, it cannot be completely discounted as a possibility and this should be reason enough to check it out for yourself.